Monday 28 May 2012

WEEK 3

So looking back through my blog so far I can see how far I have come in the last three weeks!  Reviewing last week, I have been continuing with my exercises doing them three times a day and finding them very easy to do, so adding to the repetitions required.

I would not recommend this to anyone, but with the weather being so hot, up to 26 degrees for a few days last week, I just could not bear the support socks and have stopped wearing them.  I am checking my calves every day and I am taking the anti blood clot medication and prescribed.  I did some internet research and read a paper on research into the benefits of knee high support to THR patients and it seemed to me that it was not conclusive that it prevented a clot forming if it was going to happen.  This is my decision I stress!  I will however wear them during a two hour car journey to Somerset which we will be going on later in the week, as I think this is the time when problems could occur.  We also intend to have a few stops on the way so I can walk around.  My brother stopped wearing his socks 2 weeks ago and I really told him off, and now I am guilty too.

I have enjoyed taking my R and R on my new recliner which is perfect for the job required!  It is years since I have sunbathed and it is a lovely feeling, and I do like my brown legs!  I have a shower late afternoon and although the first shower ever seemed such a traumatic experience with the crutch going into the shower with me and me worrying about slipping etc, it is now so straightforward and obviously refreshing after an afternoon in the garden.

We have been gardening - by which I mean that Nick has wielded the gardening tools and I have pointed at what is a weed and what needs to be moved, and with my grabber been able to pick up the cuttings and tidy them into the wheelie bin, so I have done my bit!  I am not sure how soon I will be able to garden myself, and along with the need to get down on one's knees, there is the issue of getting back up again afterwards, which was pretty difficult before the operation, and now the 90 degree rule must be observed it does require some thinking about.

Along with that thought came the one that I would actually like to lie on my tummy on a rug.  How does that happen?  So, as usual, I googled getting up from lying down after THR and found discussion threads about this which were a bit helpful but not medical in the advice.  It seems that kneeling comes into it, and having a chair handy to assist in getting back up.  I spoke to my brother this morning and he had actually not done this movement, but thought that strong arms and strength in the non operated leg would be needed.  He suggested rolling over while lying on the recliner (which must be done with cushion or pillow between legs).   He has been sleeping on his non-operated side (which I thought was totally banned) by putting a firm pillow between his knees and rolling on to his side.  I was in bed when we were chatting at 7am , so I decided to try this out for myself and continue over to lie on my front - And I Did It!  What a simple movement that was - no 90 degree infringement obviously, and no crossing leg over either! So that is the first part.  It may be good to try and get to standing while on the bed with Nick standing by to catch me, before I do it outside!  (This is all about wanting a tanned back as well as the front - but my previous posts already would have given an indicaton of my vanities, so I make no apologies!)

We had an early Sunday morning visit to our local car boot sale - we planned our breakfast to be sausage and egg baps from the catering van, washed down with a steaming mug of coffee - which all went as planned.  We were there about 8.30 and chatted to a chap who wheels and deals and sells on eBay,who had arrived at 5am!  Obviously if you are a professional that is what you do!  We bought plants and I bought some beautiful antique linen with crochet trim for my chests of drawers.  Amazingly cheap, so I will return for more.  Also will go back another time and stock up the freezer with whole fillet steak (£15) lamb shanks (6 for a fiver) etc, will take cool box and be prepared.  Managed on one crutch and we were there for two hours.

Have also now started this week walking to shop for papers with Nick each morning before breakfast.  This is about a 15 minute round trip, so I take one crutch and then this morning did it with walking stick for first time which was fine.  Have found myself getting a little breathless keeping up with Nick's pace, which is an indication of my lack of any physical activity for a couple of years now.  So I am determined to improve on this so that in a couple of months we can go for some really long walks together again - we might even get another dog!

I can go up and down stairs now without a crutch, normally,bliss!  It's being able to do something like this, such a simple action, but one which I have not been able to do for 2 years that really brings home how gradually restrictive osteo arthritis is, and the benefits of the new hip!!!!

When I write my next blog we will have been away for a long weekend in the country, hopefully been for a few gentle walks, we may go to Lyme Regis (!) that is an on going amusement for us, in which case maybe my brother might be able to meet me from where he lives in Poole.  At  four weeks I am also going to have a little go at driving.  So watch this space!

12 comments:

  1. Hi JillianF,

    I just wanted to say thanks for blogging about your THR. My mum is about to go in for the same op, and it's been helpful to read about your experience.

    Could you post some links to particular pieces of information that have been useful for you post-op, or to information that you wished you had pre-op please?

    Thanks,
    Aaliyah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog.It gives lot more information about hip replacement surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice share, thanks for this article...i am searching this anywhere and just found it here...thanks

    total hip replacement surgery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total hip replacements are performed most commonly because of progressively worsening of severe arthritis in the hip joint.

    Best Orthopedic Doctor in India

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hip replacement joint pain creates a situation in which doctors considered for hip replacements surgery. This is the treatment in which painful hip joint replaces with artificial joint made up of metals and plastic components. Quick recovery after surgery is possible after good and complete care which is possible in the best hospitals India.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hip replacement is a common type of surgery where a damaged hip joint is replaced with an artificial one (known as a prosthesis). +Total Knee Replacement in Bangalore | Total Hip Replacement in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog, thanks for sharing it. If anyone wants to get affordable and productive hip replacement surgery in Punjab, please visit EVA Hospital. This is a reputed ortho center in Ludhiana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This surgery is needed when the heart valve Replacement does not work properly. A heart valve may not open or it may have problem closing.

    Heart Valve Replacement Delhi India

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing,
    Are you experiencing hip pain? If so, you may be considering hip surgery as a treatment option then Dr. Vinay Tantuway is a best Arthroscopy surgeon at Arthros Clinic. Hip Surgery and Treatment is a common procedure that can help relieve pain and restore function to your hip. Here you will get professional and high-quality Hip Pain Treatment within your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete